- 1 tbsp EPIROS Concentrated Butter
- 1.200g beef (round cut or shankle) cut in bite-sized pieces (largish)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 5-6 seeds allspice
- ½ water grass dry red wine
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and finely
- chopped or 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp orange peel, grated
- Salt & pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pack hillopittes (traditional Greek pasta)
- 100g shredded EPIROS Mizithra cheese or EPIROS Kefalotyri cheese
Wash and dry the meat. Heat the olive oil with the EPIROS butter and brown the meat on one side.
Turn the meat over with a spatula or tongs and add the onion and garlic to the pan. Fry gently for 2 more minutes and add the spices, stirring to release their aromas.
Add the wine and when the alcohol has evaporated, add the tomatoes, sugar, orange peel and salt & pepper to taste. Add hot water to cover the meat and after it has boiled, let it simmer, with the pan covered, until the meat is very tender and the sauce has thickened.
Check it frequently as it cooks, in case it needs more liquid; if it does, add water, a little at a time.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta following the instructions on the pack; strain it and place it in a large serving dish. Put the EPIROS Butter in the pan where you cooked the pasta and heat it till it sizzles, then pour it over the pasta; before pouring the butter over it, sprinkle it lavishly with grated EPIROS Kefalotyri or EPIROS Mizithra (hard whey cheese).
Stir the butter into the pasta and then place the meat and red sauce on top. Add extra grated cheese and serve immediately.
Tip: Before serving the meat, remove the stick of cinnamon and the allspice.