EPIRUS SA invests heavily in the environmental protection, committing to climate change mitigation and low carbon footprint, by integrating sustainable practices in all production stages:
• Installation of photovoltaic arrays in plant units.
• Recycling of plastic, paper & tinplate cans.
• Recycling of batteries.
• Recycling of all light bulbs and electric/electronic appliances.
• eco-friendly, EURO 5 technology tanks and usage of AD BLUE to minimize the emission of SO2 (sulfur dioxide) & CO2 (carbon dioxide).
• Modernization of the existing biological cleaning system and installation of a new ventilation-sedimentation tank, aiming to increase the capacity of the effluent processing system.
• Olive tree planting in the surrounding area of the factory.
• Dispatch of inappropriate products to a special Biogas production facility.
• Installation of a filtering unit for condensed whey, to reduce the emission of gases during its transfer.
EPIRUS SA contributes to the collective effort for a better, cleaner, more humane environment. The implementation of environmental programs for the protection of the environment are also certified by ISO 14001: Environmental Management System.
RELATIONSHIP WITH FARMERS & LOCAL COMMUNITIES
We support and contribute to the development of livestock farming by transferring our expertise, know-how and best practices to the farmers, regarding issues such as herd growth and feeding, as well as the improvement of milk quality. Additionally, we support them on the medical treatment of their herds.
We support our region, Epirus, and we provide a positive socio-economic impact on local communities by offering job and educational opportunities. Every year, we sponsor several local athletic clubs and we offer students from the local communities the opportunity to study in the American Farm School in Thessaloniki, through a scholarship program.
We recognize that our world is currently facing severe environmental challenges and that the development of a feasible sustainability strategy is not optional. Therefore, we have committed to significantly reduce our waste and carbon footprint by investing in sustainable materials and practices, such as resource saving and recovery of valuable materials, CO2 emissions and waste reduction technologies, transition to renewable energy assets.