- 200g (7 ounces) grated Epiros Saganaki PDO Kefalograviera
- 200g (7 ounces) Epiros Original Feta, crumbled
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus extra for greasing
- 4 eggs
- 300g (10,5 ounces) kataifi pastry
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 2/3 cup (1/4 pint) milk
- 2/3 cup (1/4 pint) heavy cream
Grease an ovenproof dish with butter and set aside.
Lightly beat two of the eggs in a bowl, season with pepper, and stir in the cheeses.
Tease out the kataifi pastry and divide into 20 to 25 long sections. Keep the sections covered with a damp cloth to keep them moist.
Take one section of kataifi and pat it gently between your palms. Place 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture on it and fold it over the filling, shaping a ball. Continue until all the sections of kataifi are filled. Place them in the prepared dish, close together. Heat the 4 tablespoons butter and corn oil together and pour a teaspoon over each roll.
At this point you can wrap and freeze the rolls or store them in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
One hour before baking, lightly beat together the milk, cream, and remaining eggs. Pour the mixture over the rolls and let them stand for 1 hour, until they have absorbed the liquid. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Bake the rolls for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- You can substitute 1 cup finely chopped cured ham or bacon for 1 cup of the cheese mixture.